Another day, another dollar, but more importantly, what’s for dinner I say! I decided to keep it straight vegetarian for my veggie homeboys and homegirls, but my god this dish is tasty (and filling). The humble quesadilla (pronounced kesa-deeya) is a traditional Mexican dish involving a flour or corn tortilla with a savoury filling of your choice. I’m using a mix of peppers, onions and beans but feel free to experiment, corn would also be a good thing to chuck in!
As you need to stick two tortillas together, a little trick I use is to give the filling mix a bit of a mash with a potato masher so it forms some what of a paste consistency, this along with the melted cheese will help the tortillas stay together nicely. For the vegan alternative just skip on the sour cream. Okay, well enough from me now, have a go at this little pocket rocket and let me know how it goes and after this you’ll also think quesadillas are awesome.
Music by the one and only Flamingosis, check him out:
- 4 x tortilla wraps (use more if needed)
- 1 x brown onion
- 1 x capsicum/pepper
- 1 x can pinto or red kidney beans
- 1 x bunch spring onions
- 1 x bunch parsley
- 2 x cloves of garlic,
- 1-2 x cups of manchego, tasty or cheddar cheese
- 1 x tbs ground cumin
- 1/2 tbs chilli powder
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Sour cream and salsa to serve - optional
- Dice onion and capsicum, peel and crush garlic, chop up parsley and spring onions
- Get pan on high, ad oil, then add onion, garlic and capsicum, saute for 2 mins
- Add beans, cumin, chilli powder, parsley, salt and pepper and cook for a further 2 mins
- Using a potato masher, mash the mix until a rough paste is formed
- Grate cheese onto tortilla, add bean mix, spring onions then more cheese, place a second tortilla wrap on top
- Get pan on medium heat, don't add oil, add quesadilla into pan and cook for 4mins each side
- Enjoy with some sour cream, salsa or spice things up with hot sauce!
- Serves 2 people