Well here we go again with another simple and tasty recipe, but this week it’s not a meal idea. Instead, it’s a perfect, simple and tasty base sauce for many meal ideas! Iv’e experimented quite a lot with tomato sauces and think I have come up with the most tastiest. For this, all you need is some puree tomato (or tomato passata), fresh garlic, basil and parsley with a touch of olive oil. Whip up a batch of this tonight and throw it on some nice tagliatelle or spaghetti and add your own meats or vegetables (spinach is a winner with this sauce).
This Italian tomato sauce recipe can be used in all pasta dishes, in a lasagne or even as a pizza base. The main trick to extract tons of flavour is to saute the garlic (don’t burn it) for a few good minutes before the rest of the ingredients go in. The fresh basil and parsley lift it to the next level. Don’t forget to freeze the left overs (for up to 6 months) to use in all your other Italian inspired home meals. Stay tuned as next week I’ll show you an awesome dish that can be made from this sauce. Enjoy!
Music by the one and only Renz, check him out:
- 700ml tomato passata/tomato puree (not tomato paste!)
- 3 x garlic cloves
- 1 x handful of fresh parsley
- 1 x handful of fresh basil
- 1 x tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Splash of olive oil
- Peel and crush garlic, finely chop basil and parsley
- Get pan on medium heat, add a good splash of olive oil and then garlic, saute for 3 mins - don't burn garlic
- Add tomato passata/puree followed by basil, parsley, sugar salt and pepper
- Simmer for 5 mins
- Serves 2 people