It’s been a long cold winter in Sydney, with plenty of rain I might add! Oatmeal, porridge, rolled oats or whatever you want to call them, are a delicious and nutritious breakfast option that doesn’t have to be boring. As a kid, I always had a bowl of porridge on a cold day, however, I must say it’s been quite a while now since I’ve tried them. To easily transform this into a vegan recipe, replace the milk with water.
To jazz things up a bit, this porridge recipe contains dried apricot which gives it some big, bold fruity flavour. I’ve also added in some chia seeds which are loaded with antioxidants, protein, magnesium and omega-3 acids, basically everything good for the body! Well tasty platers give this one a go if you’re scratching your head for a breakfast idea and let me know how you go…
Music by the one and only shagabond, check him out:
- 1 x cup rolled oats
- 2 x cups of milk or water
- 1 x handful dried apricots
- 2 x tsp chia seeds
- 1 x tsp honey
- 1/2 x tsp cinnamon
- Honey and chia seeds to serve
- Roughly chop up apricots
- Get pot on medium to high heat, add oats and milk/water
- Stir occasionally and bring to a boil
- Add chia seeds, honey, cinnamon and apricot, simmer for 1-2 minutes
- Drizzle extra honey and throw on some chia seeds to serve - all optional of course!